Couple of months ago ASmallOrange marketer contacted me and offered free 2 months trial of their Virtual Private Server (VPS).
We wanted to try hosting ElasticSearch on Linux platform.
While hosting ElasticSearch on Linux was a positive experience, hosting on ASmallOrange was so-so and ended up badly.
It went like this:
1) Got 3GB 2-cores VPS with Linux CentOs ($45/month with 2 months free trial).
2) Configured firewall
3) Installed ElasticSearch
4) Added another VPS (2GB 2-cores for $30/month - this time that was real money) in order to form ElasticSearch cluster.
5) Started running ElasticSearch percolation on that cluster.
6) Our VPS-es were rebooted about once per week for different type of patches/maintenance.
7) Once our VPS did not get up after such maintenance done by ASmallOrange.
After seeing crashes in our logs we had to contact ASmallOrange in order to get it up. We got about 3 hours of downtime back then.
As a "bonus", ASmallOrange tech changed our firewall settings to make it more publicly available (to the contrary of our intention to keep our VPS private as much as possible).
8) At the end of the trial period I asked ASmallOrange to convert my server that was on trial into paid account.
Time of request: 3:20 pm EDT on Friday.
ASmallOrange ignored that request and terminated my first server (that was on trial).
Termination time: 1:30 am EDT on Saturday.
9) Now ASmallOrange is not able to restore it.
Cannot find backup, cannot really do anything.
10) Fortunately, we only moved ElasticSearch percolation to ASmallOrange, so it was not that hard to move it back to our main Windows server.
Don't go to England
Do not use ASmallOrange for anything that requires reliable work.
2) In web hosting you get what you paid for.